Wednesday 19 October 2011

Post-travel depression... aka time for Creamy Avocado Pasta

So, I have not been able to write in what seems like ages! I spent the whole month of September in Europe and the UK, having the best month of my life! I have SOOOOOO much to write and so many photos to post, but for now, I am going to ease myself back into it.

For one reason or another, I have put my laptop in front of me day after day trying to muster a word or two out of me, but nothing. I have felt so tired, uninspired, unhealthy, and just, blah for the past two weeks, but something changed yesterday, I have no idea what, but I feel me coming back into this body that has been foreign to me for the past 2 weeks.



I was spending a lot of time edited the 3000+ photos I took while on this European Adventure, but found I was getting lost back into all of the memories, and as soon as I would stop I got really sad. But, I think I am OK to tackle that task again as well! I knew it was going to happen, this post-travel depression, but it would never stop me from traveling again. In fact, as soon as I got back I immediately booked a trip to Asia! haha

When you think about this post-travel depression phenomenon it only makes sense. You spend a month being constantly stimulated, through sites, and experience. You see brand new things, your days are jam packed, meeting new people, trying new food, drink, seeing new sights, things that you cannot even describe afterwards. You have no real responsibilities besides making sure you get some sleep, stay fed and clean and make sure you have as much fun as possible. Days are spent strolling around foreign cities, taking in the world's most famous landmarks, witnessing where ancient history unfolded, indulging in the local wine, food, wine, and ahhhhh wine :) It's like a dream world, only to come back home to where nothing has changed, the reasons you left are all still right there, your responsibilities jump right back on you, bills are coming in, work fills your days, and there is little in inspire let alone impress your mind. I went from over-stimulated and over-joyed back to a bland, boring routine. And there you have it, the cause for depression.


It's taken some time, a lot of patience, espeically from the people around me, but I am feeling better. I am ready to write again, to pick up from my happiness here that I left in August, and also to share my experiences and photos from my travels, without a sense of empty yearning afterwards.


I think I did well for the first time... haha But not first a recipe!

This is one thing that I missed while on my travels, my favorite go to recipe when I want something yummy, warm, comforting and healthy:

Creamy Avocado Pasta (Gluten-Free and Vegan)
Adopted from ohsheglows.com

Ingredients

1 ripe medium-size avocado
1/2 lemon, juiced
2-3 gloves of garlic, depending on how garlicky you prefer (I use 2 large ones)
1/4 cup fresh basil (I use 1/8 cup of dry sweet basil if fresh isn't available)
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 serving of pasta (I used brown rice pasta, spaghettini or fettuccine)
Ground black pepper to taste

1. In a large pot bring water to a boil and add pasta of choice. For rice pasta I cook no longer than ten minutes. Follow directions for your pasta of choice and allow to cook Al-dente.

2. While pasta is cooking, in a food processor, or Magic Bullet, add avocado, lemon juice, garlic, oil, and basil. Blend to creamy consistency.

3. Drain and rinse pasta. Pour the sauce over the pasta and mix until fully combined. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper and enjoy :). Serves 2.

The amazing pasta dish takes only 15 minutes to make and is oh-so-satisfying!

Feel free to add whatever you like to this pasta. Last week I added in steamed kale and sweet onion. So good, with extra nutrients and vitamins!

To add some protein I have added in pan-fried tofu and broccoli, which tastes phenomenal as well!

Go nuts! Add your favorites to this creamy pasta deliciousness, that is completely vegan and gluten free! Mmmm nuts... perhaps that will be tonight's dinner creation :)

Em



No comments:

Post a Comment